By Sherry Cote
(As published in Madeleine, A Woman’s World, Copyright)
The traditional definition of ‘elope’ refers to a sudden and secretive marriage, usually to avoid parental objections. Today’s elopements are often exciting, planned alternatives to traditional weddings — and parents, close friends, and family may even be invited.
Reasons People Elope
Parental objection to their child’s choice of spouse is no longer the only reason couples elope. There are many benefits that make it an attractive option for modern couples. Advantages over having a traditional wedding include:
This is one of the most popular reasons for eloping. Feeling pressured into having the ‘perfect’ or most ‘unique’ wedding, many newlyweds find themselves buried in debt. Rather than spend thousands of dollars they may or may not have, couples may choose to forego a lavish wedding and reception in favor of eloping.
Statistics indicate that an average wedding costs approximately $20,000, and that does not include the honeymoon! Eloping is so much less stressful and a bargain, when you consider the cost of a conventional wedding. An elopement package can cost about $1,000 and for less than $5,000 a couple can get married and have a one week honeymoon in Kelowna.
Fun, Excitement, and Romance: The thrill of having a destination wedding or taking off with your fiancée is what lures some away from traditional weddings. The sense of spontaneity and adventure that accompanies an elopement can be very appealing.
Avoiding Stress of Wedding Planning:
Even a planned elopement that includes family and friends does not take the time and attention to detail of planning that a traditional wedding ceremony and reception can.
Privacy and Intimacy:
For some, the wonderful experience of getting married is best celebrated through a private and intimate getaway. This allows the couple to really focus on one another and the special joy of their marriage.
Is Eloping Right For Me?
Savvy, independent couples elope to do something different, to create the wedding they want without any compromises. Today’s elopements are no longer taboo affairs, they are happy surprises. Eloping is the wedding day as it was before the advent of Bridezilla, the 250 person guest list, and the bar bill. A wedding is a day, but a marriage is forever.
And while elopements have traditionally been an exclusive affair, they don’t have to be. Just because you elope does not mean that family members or friends can’t be with you. You can still have your father walk you down the aisle or your best friend witness your ceremony. The best part of eloping is that there are no rules!
Romantic Elopement Package Details
(minimum 3 night stay in peak season)
DELUXE – $1,550*
- Welcoming Bottle of Wine & Chocolate Truffles
- Outdoor Gazebo (Poolside) Ceremony; or
- Indoor (Panoramic View) Ceremony
- Marriage Officiant & Coordination
- Mixed Flowers on Signing Table
- Champagne Toast with Keepsake Flutes
- Candlelight 4 Course Dinner/Bottle of Wine
- Wedding Cake with Keepsake Server
- Cupids Romance Package on Wedding Night
ULTIMATE – $2,150*
In addition to the above:
- Outdoor Gazebo is Decorated
- Roses Substituted for Flowers on Signing Table
- Consultation for Florist, Photographer, Videographer, VIP Transportation, Make-up and Hair
- Champagne & Chocolate Dipped Strawberries on Wedding Night.
- $250 Gift Certificate for Return Visit
- Soup, choice of:
- Cashew Carrot & Ginger
- Creamy Butternut Squash
- Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato
- Salad, choice of:
- Beet, Apple & Walnuts
- Mixed Greens with Veggies
- Greek Salad
- Main Entree, choice of:
- Oven Baked Chicken Cordon Blue
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin Chops
- Grilled Beef Strip Loin Steaks
- Wild Salmon with Maple Butter & Dill
- Accompanied by:
- Organic & Locally Inspired Seasonal Vegetables
- Choice of Rice (flavored or plain); or
- Potatoes (creamy whipped or baby nugget)
- Dessert – Personal-sized Wedding Cake
- *Additional couple for dinner: $199